|SODO ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP|GGRF launched the Athletic Scholarship Program in Sodo, Ethiopia in the spring of 2014 with the support of two partners, the Abba Pascal School for Girls and the Center for Creative Leadership.
The objectives of this program are to create a running team of 55 girls in 5th, 6th and 7th grade, implement the GGRF/CCL life skills program and provide scholarships for the girls to continue their education at the Abba Pascal School.
- The creation of a safe space like this running team reduces girls’ sense of isolation and increases their self-esteem and capacity to assert their right to choose when to marry.
- GGRF’s implementation of the life skills program co-developed by the Center for Creative Leadership, USAID and GGRF delivers crucial information to the girls through experiential learning modules on community service, leadership, creative expression, healthy relationships, HIV/AIDS, reproductive health and financial literacy.
- Education scholarships eliminate any financial restraints the girl and her family may face in keeping her enrolled in secondary school.
The team of 55 girls meets three times a week (Monday, Thursday and Saturday) after school and in the morning on Saturday. During the school week, girls attend class, participate in the hour to hour and a half long practice after school and receive a snack. On Saturday, the girls meet for two hours in the morning. One hour is spent doing athletic training and the second hour is spent eating a meal as a team and conducting the lifeskills workshop for the week. Program participants complete the GGRF/CCL life-skills program after one school year and continue to be scholarship recipients for the remaining two years. Mentorship and leadership opportunities are made available to participants who have completed the lifeskills program and are interested in further developing their skills.
Watch the video above to learn more about the GGRF Athletic Scholarship Program in Sodo and the GGRF/CCL Life Skills Curriculum.
The provision of safe spaces through running and secondary school scholarships work together to eliminate the threat of early marriage, the concern for the safety of the girl while attending school and the financial challenge in keeping her in higher levels of education. The participation of girls in safe spaces and running has proven to have a positive impact on their self-esteem, access to health resources, social inclusion, and identification of female role models. Combined with the delivery of the GGRF/CCL life skills program, the girls will graduate from the program after successfully navigating the challenges posed to them during their most vulnerable period of life and having developed the skills needed to secure a healthy and prosperous future for themselves.
Abba Pascal School for Girls: In Sodo, Ethiopia, unemployment and sub-unemployment is above 60% of the active population. Many of the daily workers in Sodo make less than 1.25 USD per day. The Abba Pascal School was founded in 1933. Since then, the school has seen an increase in students attending as well as a decrease in the number of students dropping out.
In 2009, the dropout rate for Abba Pascal Girls’ School was 12%, in line with the rest of the country. Today the dropped rate has been reduced to 3.18%. All of the girls who attended the school through 12th grade, are now attending university courses. GGRF is excited to partner with the Abba Pascal School to provide strong academic scholarships for girls from disadvantaged communities in Sodo, Ethiopia.
Center for Creative Leadership (CCL): The CCL Africa Office is based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and has offered to collaborate with GGRF to co-create the experiential learning modules on community service, leadership, creative expression, healthy relationships, HIV/AIDS, reproductive health and financial literacy that will serve as the life-skills component of the GGRF athletic scholarship. The curriculum will build off of learning modules developed by the CCL and USAID for girls in Ethiopia.
SPONSOR AN ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP
$600 or $50/month provides a year-long athletic scholarship for a girl in Sodo, Ethiopia. The Scholarship includes:
- Full Scholarship to attend secondary school, including healthcare for student and her mom, daily meals, uniform, books, tutoring, access to school clubs and library, showers and space to wash clothes on the weekend.
- Completion of the GGRF/CCL Life Skills Curriculum developed to create safe spaces for girls and provide experiential learning modules on family planning, financial literacy, HIV/AIDS awareness, nutrition, healthy relationships, leadership, and creative expression.
- Running clothes, shoes and healthy snacks for the year
- Entrance and transportation to Ethiopian races throughout the year
- Oversight of a coach and running mentor
GGRF matches sponsors with a girl participating in the GGRF Sodo Program and their donation will provide her with a year-long Athletic Scholarship. As an Athletic Scholarship Sponsor, you will receive the following this year:
- Biography and photos of the girl whose scholarship you are sponsoring
- 2 letters from the scholarship recipient, 1 each semester
- 2 report cards, 1 each semester
- Opportunity to write letters to scholrship recipient
For more information, please contact email@example.com. Thank you!
Meet the people that make this program possible:
Tizzazu, Abba Pascal Girls School Assistant Administrator
Fasica Gebre Michael, Sodo Athletic Scholarship Life Skills Program Mentor
Tadesse Bantero, Sodo Athletic Scholarship Program Coach
Photos by Marie Claire Andrea